28 March 2011

Momentous Occasion

Stop the presses! Something big has happened!

Remember these mittens? They were my first experiment in stranded knitting wayyyy back two years ago. I thought they'd be difficult and a big ol' mess, but it turns out I'm a quick study with the Fair Isle work, and I churned out a bunch more pairs over the next year.

But these were my first pair, and that's something special. So I wore them as my primary mittens in cold weather. And there's a lot of cold weather. Still, you get used to a thing when you do it a lot, so imagine my surprise the other day when I put on these mittens, hopped in my car, and felt the steering wheel strangely cold against my thumb!

That's right! I have worn my way through the thumb of my accidental mittens! It's the first time I've ever worn a hole in anything I've knit myself.

In my world, this is something I'd call "Very Exciting."

Now you know what a thrilling life I lead. A hole! Wooo!

I am undecided as to whether I will knit myself a new thumb in these mittens, or just wear a different pair. It's not like I don't have plenty of others to pull out of the mitten pile.

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats to find out what I choose.

No comments: